Data Dojo Würzburg
Monthly meeting to do collaborative, hands-on data analytics training. We strive to be an open and inclusive community, everyone is welcome! We have a code of conduct that we adhere to.
Everyone is welcome to join, whether you are a student, researcher or practitioner from industry. Also all experience levels, backgrounds and tool preferences are welcome!
When and Where
On the second Thursday of each month at 6:00 pm online
See the current pad for details and zoom link.
Attention! We have not determined the perfect start time and duration, yet. So expect those to change from month to month until we settle for the time that works best for most participants. Furthermore, the Data Dojo starts as virtual only. We might move to a live format as soon as covid numbers allow it. Stay healthy!
|2 h||Example Process|
|15 min||welcome, ice breaker|
|15 min||initial exploration, questions|
|60 min||analyze, coding-dojo-style (in small sub-groups)|
|30 min||present results, recap|
What is coding-dojo style?
We envision a process similar to the one described as RandoriKata but tailored towards data analysis rather than programming. So roughly:
- After deciding on a dataset, question and tool and splitting into small sub-groups of 3-5 people
- Two people step up to the keyboard and begin analyzing the data as driver (the one typing and clicking) and copilot (giving instructions to the driver)
- They start from scratch, doing small steps and explaining everything they do to the audiance
- After 5 minutes the roles change, the copilot becomes the driver, someone from the audiance becomes copilot
- Everyone present is expected to follow what is going on, and make helpful suggestions
Will the Data Dojo be in English or German?
The language of the session depends on the participants. Again we want to be as inclusive as possible. In case there are some participants who can’t speak English and others who can’t speak German we will split up into sub-groups early.
Each event we will analyze a different dataset. We might use different tools to address different questions about this data. You can add suggestions for datasets/questions/tools to the pad or look beforehand what others have suggested.
|5||2021-10-14||See pad →||pad|
|4||2021-09-09||Hourly Temperature in Würzburg||pad||result|
|2||2021-07-08||Global Power Plant Database||pad||result|
|1||2021-06-10||Open Test Run, MarioKart Records||pad||result|
|0||2021-05-26||Test Run, Netflix Titles||pad||result|
- TidyTuesday: A weekly social data project in R.
- Coding Dojos: The idea of using the “dojo style” to train your (programming) skills.
- ML Katas: Interactive notebooks to train Machine Learning skills on small specific problems.
- HackyHour: A social get-together to solve compuntational problems and explore computers in a fun and interactive manner.
Data Dojo Würzburg is supported by the ESF ZDEX project.
The logo is derived from the one used by HackyHour Würzburg (with kind permission). It uses a public domain icon and the tori gate icon by tulpahn available under CC-BY. Colors are the corporate design colors from the University of Würzburg.
The content of this website is available under CC0. This website uses the cayman template which is also available under CC0.